I don’t know if any of you have ever seen such a deep red rice. Beets and umeboshi (Japanese salted plum) are the ingredients that make the color. I think this is a perfect rice for Valentine’s day today. It looks pretty and colorful! Happy Valentine’s Day!
- 2 cups rice
- 3-4 umeboshi, pitted and minced
- 1 beet, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- pinch of salt
- roasted sesame seeds
- scallions, chopped
- Rinse rice and drain in a colander while preparing other ingredients.
- In a blender add peeled beet and add just enough water to get it blending. Measure the juice, and add enough water to make 2 1/3 cup liquid.
- In a medium heavy bottom pan (2-3 quarts pan), add drained rice, umeboshi, soy sauce, sesame oil, and pinch of salt, and pour beets juice over.
- Bring the liquid to a boil, cover the pot, and reduce to a gentle simmer over low heat. When the rice is done, remove from heat.
- Fluff the rice with a spoon, and serve with toasted sesame seeds and chopped scallions if you would like.